Labels

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Anime Review : 5 Cm Per Second (Movie)

  

~ "5 cm per second. They say that's the speed at which a cherry blossom falls. 5 cm per second." ~

First and foremost, 5 Cm Per Second is hands down the single most gorgeous looking film I have ever seen. Not anime, film. Period. I can not begin to describe just how absolutely phenomenal the artwork in this movie is. It's something you have to see to appreciate, and I would actually suggest you stop reading this review and go watch this movie, right now. If you're still reading this however, I'll continue the review. However, I will continue below this next beautiful screenshot taken directly from the film.




Visuals aside, 5 Cm Per Second is not the best anime I've ever seen. In reality, the story was only so-so in my opinion. It was good, for the majority, it kept me interested, but the ending left me wanting more. Once again, an excellent story is spoiled by a bad ending. The story centers around two childhood friends who grow into lovers, but also grow apart, as distance begins to separate them.
The story is divided into 3 "episodes". Episode 1 focuses on their childhood, as episode 2 focuses on their teenage years and the beginning of their separation. By the 3rd act, the two are adults and live entirely different lives, yet still often think of each other. I'm a guy, and love stories aren't exactly my thing, but I was rooting for these two, and was looking forward to the inevitable reunion of their love. Which.. never came. This isn't a happy love story, so if that's what you want, then look elsewhere. I don't mind sad endings, but this was just left too many questions for me. In fact, I feel it's safe to assume that one of the main characters most likely commits suicide after the credits roll. Even so, the story was still enjoyable, and felt quite relatable, and likely will for anyone who has ever been through heartbreak.



This could have been a masterpiece, if the ending had been done a little different, though everyone is different and some might enjoy the ending. From a visual standpoint, this already is a masterpiece, and should be watched if solely for the art. The artwork and animation in this movie is completely unparalleled, and the artists who made it deserve to have their art viewed and respected. I was in awe at some of the images in this movie, and the detail in some scenes is completely baffling. This movie would be breathtaking if it were only a silent film, and adding a charming, if saddening, love story only improves it. If you have a free night and want to be inspired, as one can find inspiration in a beautiful painting, then please watch this movie. The artists deserve to have their work admired, and admire you shall.


Pros : Breathtaking visuals / Superb animation / Compelling storytelling

Cons : Ending / Unanswered questions / Dub could be a little better

Final Verdict : 8.75/10

- Darrell

No comments:

Post a Comment