Labels

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Movie Review : The Avengers (2012)


  A movie that's been teased for years, The Avengers is a comic book nerd's dream come true. I remember the first time I saw the after-credits bonus scene in Iron Man, and almost tearing up in pure excitement. As the years went by, my excitement grew into an overwhelming fear of being letdown. I felt that there was literally no way that the movie could live up to my expectations. Well, it did. Somehow, some way, The Avengers managed to be as good as I had hoped, no, as good as I had prayed, it would be. Dare I say, it was almost better. I attribute most of this success, to Marvel's unbelievably stellar casting department. Movie after movie, during the build-up, the set pieces were positioned perfectly with absolutely perfect casting(I consider Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark to be, literally, the best cast EVER). Each individual movie has garnered such success, that they're all getting sequels. If anything, Marvel has been hitting home-runs lately with every swing. I'm not ashamed to say that I've seen The Avengers, at least, 4 times. It's not a perfect movie by any means, but what it is, is pure fun and an adrenaline rush to witness. Joss Whedon does an excellent job directing and letting the actors, not the special fx, tell the story. The dialogue and character interaction is the highlight here. To me, Tom Hiddleston(Loki) and Robert Downey Jr(Tony Stark, Iron Man) steal the show with their perfect sarcasm, dark charm, and snarky wit. Mark Ruffalo is the latest actor to step into the green goliath's shoes. Though I was a fan of Ed Norton's Hulk, Ruffalo has excellent chemistry with the other actors and makes for a wonderful Bruce Banner(Marvel's casting department hits gold again.).

  The plot of Avengers may be it's weak point. If you're a fan of sci-fi, or superhero movies, you've probably already seen it. Bad guy gains power. Gains control of a sinister army. Tries to take over the world. Etc, etc. EXCEPT, this bad guy, is freakin awesome. If the heroes weren't so lovable, you would most likely be rooting for this guy(some still were). The special FX are gorgeous and believable, and the characters are painted in a worldly light that makes them relatable. The heroes themselves, and the actors portraying them, are again terrific. Tony Stark is as snarky and hilarious as ever, Thor(Chris Hemsworth) is still Godly, and Captain America(Chris Evans) finally feels like the Cap'(I wasn't a huge fan of Captain America's solo outing). A pleasant surprise as well, was the humor within Avengers. The script does an excellent job of delivering some great haha moments at exactly the right time. Unexpected humor is always the most effective, and Avengers succeeds in producing a laugh when you least expect it. Seeing this in Theaters almost always ended to a standing ovation and cheers. My only real complaint with Avengers, is that now, my anticipation of the sequel may be even greater than the anticipation of this one! And so sets in the creeping fear of a bad sequel, and a huge let-down. But if Marvel's latest work is anything to go by, I shouldn't have anything to worry about.


Pros : Funny | Special FX | Great Script | Acting

Cons : Ended too soon! | Final fight sequence seemed too short after the long build-up

Final Verdict : 9.25/10


-Darrell

No comments:

Post a Comment